Home > FAQ's


Facts & Questions

Texas A&M University has a decentralized international model, so there is no “international office”.  Instead, Vice Provost Dr. Michael Benedik serves as the Chief International Officer (as part of his many duties) and facilitates progress toward the university’s Global Engagement Plan

All colleges have global engagement points of contact with various roles relative to this plan.  While many other offices play critical roles in supporting the international academic, service and research efforts, there are four that address components of a typical, centralized international office:  Education Abroad (located in Undergraduate Studies), International Student Services (located in the Office of Admissions), Immigration Services for Faculty and Scholars (located in the Dean of Faculties Office), and Public Partnership and Outreach (located in the Office of the Provost).

Please visit the International Agreements Glossary of Terms page to learn more.

To search for active or expired partnerships, please use the interactive search functions in the International Partnership Database.  

Faculty members or administrators with a foreign university can contact Global Partnership Services for information on how to start the process of creating an agreement with Texas A&M University.

A&M University has 3 signature partner locations (Costa Rica, Mexico, and Italy) faculty may utilize for research or education abroad. Faculty is not limited to these three locations. To identify the best option for a particular program, contact Education Abroad. If you already have a program in mind and are planning to utilize one of Texas A&M’s signature partnership locations contact the location’s associated Global Faculty Advocate.


For more information, please visit the Office of Admissions website and the International Student Services websites. Please note that undergraduate admissions is handled centrally by the Office of Admissions but all graduate programs have their own admission processes and staff. If you wish to find out more about a specific graduate program, contact the academic department that houses that program. To search for graduate programs, see the Office of Graduate Studies.

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) provides leadership and coordination for the Texas higher education system.  Since being created by the Texas Legislature in 1965, the Board has worked to achieve excellence for the college education of Texas students.  All courses taught overseas must conform to the regulations set forth by the THECB.  Each education abroad course needs an additional process of notification to the THECB prior to being taught outside the U.S., according to Texas state regulations. This is above and beyond being part of the main course inventory of the institution or part of an approved degree or certification program.  Without having this additional notification process, the University may not submit weighted semester credit hours generated by such courses to the state for formula funding.  For more information about the THECB, visit their website.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) is the regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern United States and hemisphere. SACSCOC serves as the common denominator of shared values and practices among the diverse institutions in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Latin America and other international sites approved by the SACSCOC Board of Trustees that award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, or doctoral degrees. The Commission also accepts applications from other international institutions of higher education. For more information about the SACSCOC, visit their website.